About Ferrosan Medical Devices A/S
Ferrosan Medical Devices A/S develops and produces a portfolio of hemostatic products to aid surgery minimizing bleeding challenges (Surgiflo®). Products are registered as medical devices (Class III) and are sold internationally in more than 100 countries in close collaboration with the main customer and innovation partner Ethicon, part of Johnson & Johnson.
All main functions in the company are in Søborg, DK including production facilities, so everyone sits door to door with easy access to each other.
The Product Innovation department
Ferrosan Medical Devices is currently working on several innovation projects to address new surgical needs, exploring trends and new concepts in a growing market with a changing surgical setting towards robotics and minimal invasive surgery.
The Product Innovation department is involved primarily in the explorative, concept research phase until design lock but is also involved at different stages in the development phase spanning concept development to production. We are discovering and developing new devices assigned class II & III for surgical use within hemostatic and leaks addressing end user needs.
The Product Innovation department is overall responsible for developing and driving the front-end innovation process, i.e., the pre-project discovery phase. This phase involves a combination of opportunity assessments, idea generation, concept development, process development and methods development and validation.
The department consist of a highly skilled team of 16 scientists, engineers and technicians covering a wide range of scientific and technical disciplines, such as chemistry, physics, process engineering, device design and engineering. The department houses three laboratories, a machine shop and a pilot facility. Instrumentation includes enzymatic activity assays, coagulation assays, UV/Vis spectroscopy, FTIR microscopy, DSC, adhesion/cohesion, rheology, mechanical test systems, texture analysis, mechanical processing, 3D printing and pilot-scale processing equipment.
The Product Innovation department is placed under New Business Development, and you report to the Product Innovation Director.
We are looking for a Senior R&D Scientist with experience in development and validation of test methods for verification of device designs. The candidate should be familiar with design control documentation steps – or willing to learn, hereunder preparation of design input/outputs, design verification and validation. The candidate should be experienced in preparation/review of test protocols, method development reports, statistical data analysis and ideally design of experiments (DoE).
From the start you will be allocated to a later stage innovation project regarding a new delivery device which includes developing and validating test methods for verification of the design. The product contains a mix of biomaterial and biologically active components with interesting challenges to be addressed when new delivery devices are being tested and developed for surgical use. You will also support lifecycle management project and systematic problem-solving tasks as subject matter expert.
You will contribute to the projects by providing analytical expertise to the projects regarding design verification methods, design of experiments and statistical data analysis. In addition, you will participate in exploring and discovering new technology relevant for combination devices with biologics and polymer materials as main components in our products. You will also contribute to various design control activities such as risk assessments and specification settings. In this role you will make great use of your scientific curiosity, creativity, and problem-solving nature daily.
Your role will include:
- Main responsibility for analytical method development and validation, instrument operation, maintenance and training of laboratory technicians, scientists and students.
- Contribute to idea generation, opportunity assessments and concept development in pre-projects.
- Find and create technical solutions to product issues within materials and designs.
- Specify requirements for materials when these are to be determined, updated, or replaced.
- Prepare stability studies and technical rationales etc.
- Be responsible for protocol writing, practical execution, and reporting of the individual activities.
- Collect and evaluate scientific evidence regarding ideas to assess potential.
- Participate in general development activities (e.g. development trials, technical evaluations or regulatory rationales.
- Participate in technology scouting.
- Participate in general support of existing products.’
- Participate in projects cross-functionally.
- Inspire and contribute to the department’s scientific and innovative competencies.
The ideal candidate
You have a strong analytical background and experience with different analytical methods, test methods and statistical data analysis. You have theoretical and hands-on experience with qualitative and quantitative methods preferably within mechanical device testing or similar. You may have experience with chemical characterisation and analysis. You must be proficient in texture analysis, rheology, and force measurements. You should also be familiar with enzymatic assays, spectroscopy, DSC and HPLC. As this role supports front-end innovation projects, you must also propose and explore new analytical and characterization methods and be willing to learn.
You plan your own work with a focus on deadlines in close collaboration with laboratory technicians and experimental scientists. You are meticulous and structured in your work and deliver high quality documentation also when reviewing colleague’s protocols/reports.
You are a collaborative team player able to navigate in dynamic and creative processes in a flat organisation with many cross-functional stakeholders.
In addition, your profile contains
- Academic background master’s or Ph.D. degree within life sciences (human biology, pharmacy. chemistry or similar) or field where experience with mentioned analytical techniques are acquired.
- Broad technical understanding and detailed orientated.
- As a person, you are curios, self-driven with a “can-do” attitude who thrives in a dynamic environment.
- Science curiosity, solution orientated and pragmatic approach.
- Strong interpersonal skills, self-starting collaborating personality.
- Ability to put own work into a cross-functional reference.
- Strong oral/written communication skills and both Danish and English.
Ferrosan Medical Devices as a workplace
An international organization with about 240 employees and a strong collaborative culture with solid Danish roots. An environment where you discuss matters with your colleagues and key stakeholders and can expect everyone to take responsibility for common results. The organization is flat and tone informal.
How to come into consideration
Peoplement offers executive search and recruitment of executives, senior managers and key specialists within general management, sales, digital, marketing, finance, supply chain & operations, HR and IT. Peoplement is the exclusive representative of AltoPartners in Denmark. Founded in 2006, AltoPartners is a leading international alliance of retained boutique entrepreneurial executive search and leadership consulting firms.