JOE & the JUICE
JOE & the JUICE has become one of the most successful start-up cases in Danish retail industry. From the beginning in 2002 and until today the company has grown from a simple bar in Copenhagen serving juice, coffee and sandwiches to a global brand with a unique passion for their employees, products and automatic processes.
As a Harvard professor once told us: “Are JOE & THE JUICE an IT company selling juice?”
JOE & the JUICE has through the years developed their own in-house ERP system, and multiple different apps that supports the organization globally (Live Financial Reporting App, Store Rating App, Joe App, Joe POS). All internally developed and highly acknowledged by Harvard Business School, General Atlantic, Valedo and many more.
Founded in 2002 the rapidly expanding company now has 330 stores with 8000+ employees in more than 20 countries.
- Established: 2002
- Head office: Østergade 26A, 3 100 Copenhagen K. Denmark
- Ownership: Since 2013, Sweden-based Valedo is taken over the majority stake in JOE & the JUICE while Kaspar Basse, the previous owner will retain 10% of the shares. General Atlantic invested in 2016 to secure expansion into the U.S.A. and have now 90% of the equity
- Employees: Approx. 8000+
- Annual revenues: Approx. 400 million USD
- Production: 330 stores in Scandinavia, Europe, US – as well as Hong Kong, Singapore, Seol and Sydney
- Portfolio: Juice, coffee and sandwich shop
Read more about our client: www.joejuice.com/
JOE & the JUICE is now executing a new expansion plan for the chain in new market / countries, which by 2025 will have up to 600 stores globally, doubling revenue and delivering positive cash flow. In the long run, JOE & THE JUICE should grow organically by 20 percent. per year. If the plans succeed, an IPO within the next few years is an obvious option.
To continue expanding JOE & the JUICE, they need the best of the best Data / Insights powered by a rock-solid data team / foundation. Focusing is on the largest current markets: Europe, New York City, Miami, Chicago and San Francisco. Along with store openings, growth must be increased by a greater rate of digitization and data knowledge. More must order through JOE & the JUICE’s own app, and partnerships with delivery platforms must be optimized.
The Data Science Team
The Data Science team is a part of the Tech Department an agile team that cherishes the “walk-the-talk” approach to continually improve insights, datamining, see patterns and opportunities in an environment that fosters learning, experimentation, and growth.
The Data Science team is responsible for data and access to data system globally, with a focus of visionary insights. The team is working closely with our in-house software engineering teams, and other stakeholders within Joe and The Juice to establish best of class insight for the first F&B brand to truly run using a unified system globally.
The company strive to get best og class data insights and someone who can drive the Data Science team to both deliver data and see new opportunities. JOE & the JUICE is focused on the intelligence surrounding the “JOE experience” so that guests do not notice it besides the convenience and engagement.
In short – the team is the foundation of what makes JOE & the JUICE run / and grow from a tech point of view. The team is in close dialog with development teams and the business to support & improve the in-house data insights.
As Head of Data Science, you will have the opportunity to participate in an extraordinary culture enduring a global expansion. You will lead the Data division and put your name on a platform driving one of the fastest growing retail businesses in the world. Your work will not only be appreciated by people all around the globe, but you will also be in the spotlight of investors at General Atlantic who has stakes in well-known companies like Uber, Snapchat and Airbnb.
You will be reporting directly to the CTO Nicolai Schnack and work closely with stakeholders across departments on a global scale.
- Ensuring the stability and scalability of the company’s technical infrastructure
- Software & hardware vendor management related to our Data setup
- Managing and leading the Data team
- Ensuring the security and integrity of the company’s data
- Identifying and implementing new technologies and solutions to improve the company’s insight capabilities
- Collaborating with other departments to identify and address needs and opportunities
Technology used is:
- Apache Airflow
- Amazon Redshift
Key Success Factors
The new Head of Data Science will overall be measured by the ability to perform on the following key elements:
- Developing scalable and sustainable data solutions that support long-term goals
- Implementation of effective data governance and management practices
- Building, mentoring, and leading a high-performing data team
- Encouraging data literacy and data-driven mindset across departments
- Efficient management of resources and budget allocated to data science projects
- Responsible for Data roadmap together with stakeholder
Ideal candidate profile
The tech department consists of truly talented people with very different and unique skillsets and is not settling for less. We therefore require:
- Educational background preferably within IT/computer science engineering/operation (at BA or MA level)
- Experienced in running a Data Science team
- Previous hands-on experience as a Data Scientist or ML Engineer in fast paced tech scale up environment
- Number of years’ working experience with Data Engineering (creating, maintaining & orchestrating data from operational systems to data models used by analysts)
- Maintaining/writing Python & SQL queries (to retrieve data and pre-process data for analysis)
- Good theoretical understanding of, and practical experience within statistics & data- pre-processing/analysis/visualization
- Good theoretical understanding of, and practical experience working with and analyzing time series data
- Sharp analytical abilities, proven design skills and a track record of delivery
- Monitor data pipelines and data flows to ensure data availability
- Perform statistical analysis to identify patterns in data based on requests
- You have outstanding communication skills in written and verbal English, as you will be part of a growing international environment, and many of your colleagues will speak in English
- You live in Copenhagen, or you are willing to relocate to Copenhagen
The ideal candidate has experience leading a team & is ready to build & grow the department. It is a bonus if you have:
- Experience having stakeholders across multiple locations
- Experience building a Data Insights organization
- Experience working with Marketing & Operational Teams
Important Leadership characteristics
- Strong leadership ability – a Team player and a Team builder
- Strategic mindset – but with a hands-on/can-do attitude
- Strong professional business acumen
- Outstanding problem-solving skills
- Excellent ability to lead, motivate and manage a team locally and globally
- Continually drive effective results
- Communicate effectively at all levels.
Why you should join JOE & the JUICE
Joe & The Juice offer a great work environment where you can develop your own abilities in a young culture. They have an unmatched office space in central Copenhagen where you will find freshly Coffee, Juice & Sandwich’s which are on the house. You will be working close with the management team to empower data driven decision making! Your salary will be based on experience & competencies.
For more information
Please contact: Managing Partner Christian Rolin, mail: email@example.com or phone +45 22 16 27 15 or Associate Recruitment Partner Bettina Bakhauge, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +45 29 68 46 89 for more information.
You can apply for the position using this link.
Peoplement offers executive search and recruitment of executives, senior managers and key specialists within general management, sales, digital, marketing, finance, supply chain & operations, HR and IT.
DK 2900 Hellerup, Denmark