Biomass Energy Technology
Dall Energy was founded in 2007 by Jens Dall Bentzen based on a patent developed by Jens. In 2011 Dall Energy became the winner of the European Inventor Award in the category of SME’s. Moving on with 3 patents, Dall Energy was established as a technology/engineering company and delivered its first plant in 2012. Today Dall Energy has 6 plants operating in Denmark, France, and US. Dall Energy is owned by Jens Dall Bentzen as well as several minority investors.
Culture and values
Dall Energy is a typical engineering company with very deep technical knowledge and a love for the products. It’s a relatively young company where everyone contributes to everyday life and know what each other is doing. The tasks can be many and varied – but also fun. Freedom with responsibility characterizes Dall Energy, and everyone is employed here because they would like to help make a difference in green energy.
Read more on: www.dallenergy.com
The COO position is newly created and has direct reference to CEO.
Dall Energy wishes to further develop and professionalize its Core Business to strengthen business excellence and standardize the organization by implementing best practices and standards to align and scale the business. The clients are district heating companies and industrial companies.
Dall Energy has developed its own technology and are now market leader with highest number of operational plants within biomass gasification for heat and industry (medium sized plants).
Dall Energy is facing a significant growth scenario – the management team is expecting a 3-fold increase in the turnover for 2023 besides a doubling of the number of full-time-equivalent (FTE) in order to strengthen the organization.
To this end the Board and CEO has decided to onboard a COO to lead the project, technical and sales divisions and support the upcoming growth phase.
Chief Operation Officer, Dall Energy.
Primary location will be at Dall Energy’s HQ in Hørsholm.
The COO will be overall responsible for and spearhead the direction for the company profitability. The COO will be part of the company’s leadership team. The COO is responsible for the project execution, engineering, and sales teams, which today consists of a total of 10 employees, but within a year expected to grow significantly.
Specific tasks and key activities
The new COO will first and foremost be responsible for the company profitability covering the technical engineering, development of project deliveries and sales. Responsibility includes project execution / deliveries, technical support, development of new business and follow-up on existing key accounts. The COO will develop the business unit – with a clear purpose of structuring, scaling, standardization, delivering better quality and service and create profitable growth.
Some of the main responsibilities and specific tasks of the COO include:
Managerial tasks and responsibility
- Head the business unit and lead through leaders – build strong performing teams and establish policies that promote company culture and vision
- Assist project, technology, and sales managers to recruit the right staff in the coming growth phase
- Create and maintain clear structures
- Managerial sparring with Management (set strategic direction, discuss priorities, follow-up on initiatives etc.)
- Develop performance measures that support the company’s strategic direction
- Leadership and cooperation with Management on all strategic development projects
- Personnel management, including recruitment, onboarding, and motivation of employees
- Support leaders in execution of strategic projects and initiatives
- Evaluate performance by analysis, interpretation of data and calculations
- Ensure continued growth and development of Core Business
Develop Core business
- Create and maintain clear structures
- Secure a positive development of Core Business with the aim of ensuring growth in turnover and increased profitability
- P/L responsibility including ensuring coordination across sales, delivery, technical support, and after-sales
- Management of the budget and follow-up thereof
- Realization of the potential in customer relationships in cooperation with GM Sales
- Overview of capabilities in Core Business
- Unlock the commercial potential for new products and services and higher turnover that exists in the current operation
- Be the driver of working towards a more commercial and customer focused company culture
- Initiate strategic partnerships for sales, service and project execution
- Assessment and improvement of key business processes – develop, establish, and direct execution of best practices across the organization
- Establish processes/process improvement and ensuring all department heads are fully informed of objectives
- Ensure implementation of strategic initiatives
- Set goals for performance and growth and meet and exceed budget and other financial goals
- Practice the values and vision of Dall Energy in all organizational aspects
- Organizational capabilities – develop skills with current key employees and recruit additional skills if deemed necessary
Platform for cross company cooperation and strategy
- Participate in the process of formulating future Corporate Strategy and Product Strategy in close collaboration with Management
- Lead the way in the execution of the strategy as well as continuously maintain, follow up, and adapt strategies and objectives
- Map out specific business opportunities through cross company cooperation – product optimization, customer focus, and commercial wins
- Establish effective internal cooperation models
Ensure that Dall Energy is best in class
- Utilize the strengths of the company and create cross company business synergies
- Optimize existing business procedures to make the business scalable for the strategic journey
- Assess development and potential for products and new markets
- Secure world class commercial excellence in the Core Business area
- Explore opportunities for further consolidation
Key Succes Factors
The goal for the new COO is to:
- Ensure a motivated team
- Execute on won projects on time and budget, leaving happy clients and the expected profit to Dall Energy
- Streamline/standardize design and specifications of Dall Energy technology to the sub suppliers
- Engage relevant partnerships where necessary
- Secure continued growth of Core Business according to strategy plan of June
Ideal candidate profile
The ideal candidate has several years of experience from a similar position with knowledge of the challenges of SME companies.
It is a key requirement that the candidate has leadership experience. The COO must be a unifying and coordinating resource in the organization. An important goal is to create cross-organizational cohesion and not build silos or hierarchies.
Organizational capability to devise the company strategy and provide the leadership to inspire, motivate and enthuse employees with a ‘can do’ and ‘make it happen’ mentality is of utmost importance, and at the same time understand the Dall Energy’s business culture. This mindset must be disciplined into sustainable processes. Moreover, the ideal candidate must hold the following experience:
- 5+ years’ experience from a similar role
- Experience in execution of turn-key projects of electro- mechanical machines
- Experience in international technical license sale
- Experience in building, implementing, and improving best practices in a delivery organisation
- Well proven results from successful implementation of projects regarding time and budget
As well as having:
- Demonstrated and documented leadership experience from a SME company
- Experience with leading and supporting teams and business units
- Documented experience in adding value and structure as well as being the direct promoter to improve the company’s efficiency, flow, and performance
- A strategic approach to doing business
- Thorough understanding of implementing effective procedures and administrative guidelines to ensure smooth operation of business
- Preferably knowledge of RACI or similar structural tools
The desired candidate is a person with strong leadership skills, who can think in quality in business performance while upholding set targets – and have a very structured approach to handling and developing processes. The candidate must be able to motivate and set ambitious goals.
It is furthermore paramount that the candidate can win the confidence of the organization and explore its full potential. In addition, the candidate possesses the following personal attributes and characteristics:
- Visible and involving leader motivating his/ her team the best possible way
- Show an assertive personality
- Strong collaboration and interpersonal skills and ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Leadership style: trustworthy, holistic, and appreciative
- Be proactive and result-oriented (a “do’er”) and an executor
- Be robust and good at handling pressure
- Be growth- and development-oriented
- Customer oriented
- Analytical, structured, and development-oriented by nature and has both the drive and the power to get ideas and actions implemented
- Be diligent and committed
- Lot of energy and self-motivation
- Independent and operative and yet inspiring and easy going
- Able to ensure good relations both external and internal in the organization – strong stakeholder skills
The candidate holds a master’s degree from a technical university and preferably a commercial degree as complementary.
Danish and English is required, French not a requirement, but nice to have.
Advantages and development opportunities
The right candidate is offered a unique opportunity to affect and develop a company with great ambitions and growth agenda within sustainable energy solutions. The position as COO will develop and therefore holds significant potential for creating own role and influencing the organization and the business as such – on a more general strategic level as well as the day-to-day influence of the organization. Dall Energy has great potential that extends far beyond Denmark’s borders, and the COO will have the opportunity to create and contribute to this potential business success.
The candidate should preferably live in reasonable driving distance from Hørsholm (a minimum of 3 days/week at HQ is required).
Terms of employment
The candidate will receive a competitive remuneration paid on individual terms reflecting the job responsibility and according to the person’s qualifications. Share options can be earned as part of this package. Starting date is a soon as possible.
For more information
Please send your CV and a brief application by using this link.
Peoplement offers executive search and recruitment of executives, senior managers and key specialists within general management, sales, digital, marketing, finance, supply chain & operations, HR and IT. Peoplement is the exclusive representative of AltoPartners in Denmark. Founded in 2006, AltoPartners is a leading international alliance of retained boutique entrepreneurial executive search and leadership consulting firms.